What to protect?
- Rectifier for the DC charging output
- Rectifier for powering the control unit
- Battery – in case of charging station with energy accumulation
- Communication between the control unit and the charging connector (eg RS485)
- Signal from the charging connector
(eg temperature measurement)
- Communication between antenna and control unit (eg Ethernet) for data cable longer than 1 metre
Example of types of SPDs for the protection of charging stations
Placement of SPDs in a car park situation
- Three-pole combined high performance lightning current arrester.
Actual units will vary according to the earth system (TNC, TT etc) as well as data line voltages.
- Three-pole combined high performance lightning current arrester. Install on cabling in the ground.
- Type 3 surge protection with integrated noise-suppressing RF filter.
- Two-stage overvoltage protection of signal lines.
- Two-stage overvoltage protection of RS-485 signal lines.
- Two-stage overvoltage protection of Power over Ethernet lines. For cable longer than 1 metre.